Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Book Review: Losing Faith


Losing Faith by Denise Jaden
A terrible secret. A terrible fate.

When Brie's sister, Faith, dies suddenly, Brie's world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood and barely even liked, everything in her life seems to spiral farther and farther off course. Her parents are a mess, her friends don't know how to treat her, and her perfect boyfriend suddenly seems anything but.

As Brie settles into her new normal, she encounters more questions than closure: Certain facts about the way Faith died just don't line up. Brie soon uncovers a dark and twisted secret about Faith's final night...a secret that puts her own life in danger.[Source]

I bought my own copy of this novel. I was nervous to read this book because I had read a review that included the word cult. I knew my whole opinion of the book would be forever tainted. Going into the book with just one word at the center of my mind meant that I was searching for the clues, just waiting for the cult to pop out. I think, at one point, I was trying to force the cult to form. I was seeing murder suspects in everyone, even Brie’s history teacher. It was sorta anticlimactic when the truth was revealed.

I liked Tessa a LOT. I think she is one of my favorite supporting characters in a YA adult novel. She was more developed as character than Brie was, and I was actually more interested in her than the truth about Faith. I could see a whole novel around Tessa… I would definitely read it!

I have to admit, I did not like Alis at all. He was so shady and secretive, and incredibly emotional. SO not my type. And not what I had imagined Brie’s type to be either. I guess that would be because Brie was a very confused teenager. Nonetheless, I could have done without him.

I have to give it to Denise Jaden for turning a NaNo novel into a YA bestseller. This trend is quickly catching on, and she did well to do it early on.

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails