Thursday, August 26, 2010

55 quirky questions for readers



I found 55 quirky questions for readers on another blog, and traced back through the links to find the original blogger that posted it. It turns out that the original was posted by Lydia over The Literary Lollipop. So it's my turn to join in!


1. Favourite childhood book: Reach for Tomorrow by Lurlene McDaniels, as well as the SVH series and Babysitters' Club series.

2. What are you reading right now? Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

3. What books do you have on request at the library? I don't go to the library anymore.

4. Bad book habit: I hate lending books out, even though I know that I should share the wealth.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? See #3

6. Do you have an e-reader? Nope... Idk if I'll ever get one.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? One at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? I used to be an avid reader, but I was too busy during grad school, so I took a break for a few months. Now, I am back into reading constantly and my TBR list has gotten much longer!

9.Least favourite book you read this year: My brother and fiance both tried to get me to read the WoW books, but I could barely get through one chapter.

10. Favourite book I’ve read this year: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Not often, but I am kinda starting to do it more often.

12. What is your reading comfort zone? Fantasy and series.

13. Can you read on the bus? Yes.

14. Favourite place to read: Curled up under a blanket with some snacks.

15. What’s your policy on book lending? See #4.

16. Do you dogear your books? Never!

17. Do you write notes in the margins of your books? Nope.

18. Do you break/crack the spine of your books? I try really hard not to.

19. What is your favourite language to read? English.

20. What makes you love a book? The characters are relatable and the story doesn't drag. Also, a hot guy works nicely. ;)

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? Basically, same as above.

22. Favourite genre: Historical fiction and fantasy.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did): Contemporary fiction.

24. Favourite Biography: Shadow Life by Barry Denenberg - it's about the Frank sisters, Anne and Margot. I know it's kinda half biography and half fiction, but I love it anyway.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book? (And, was it actually helpful?) I started reading Emotionally Engaged by Allison Moir-Smith, but I stopped about halfway through. It was helpful, to an extent. But then I got nervous that I was trying to force myself to feel how she felt.

26. Favourite Cookbook: I can't remember the title, but it's something to do with beef. Different meals and ways to cook it.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction): Choice Words by Peter Johnston. It's all about the little nuances in adult language and what they mean to children. It includes lots of great techniques to change a few simple words

28. Favourite reading snack: Twizzlers Rainbow Twists or cereal

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience: The House of Night series. I loved the first 3 or 4, I think, despite the horrendous lack of editing and the rushed timeline. It had such great potential, and it was so freakin' popular. But when I read the 5th book, I got very turned off. I felt like the authors were just grasping at straws, trying to force a story.

30. How often do you agree with the critics about about a book? Hardly ever.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I try to be truthful, no matter what.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose? Italian.

33. Most intimidating book I’ve read: Dante's Inferno. I read it for extra credit in senior year of high school.

34. Most intimidating book I’m too nervous to begin: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

35. Favourite Poet: Emily Dickinson

36. How many books do you usually have checked out from the library at any given time?I used to get 8-10 every week.

37. How often do you return books to the library unread? I never did.

38. Favourite fictional character: The little mermaid from the original fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen.

39. Favourite fictional villain: Victoria from the Twilight series. She was well-developed and had motive for all her actions. She was also very clever and cunning.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation: Beach books.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading: Maybe 6 months?

42. Name a book you could/would not finish: Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I tried to read it several times in high school, but I just couldn't get any further than the first chapter.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? The tv.

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel: Where the Heart Is.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation: This is a toss-up between New Moon and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

46. Most money I’ve ever spent in a bookstore at one time: Probably about $100.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? I never do.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through? If I just get disinterested, or if I can't relate to the characters.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized? I try to, but sometimes they just get so chaotic.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once they’ve been read? I am so selfish! I keep all of them, but I need to try to give them away more, or at least lend them out.

51. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding? The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, both by Dan Brown. I am just nervous that I will try to compare them to the movies.

52. Name a book that made you angry: Push by Sapphire.

53. A book I didn’t expect to like but did: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

54. A book I expected to like but didn’t: Hunted by PC Cast and Kristin Cast

55. Favourite guilt-free guilty pleasure reading: Chick lit. Everyone's reading it!

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty much the same as you on all the library questions, I haven't been inside one for quite a few years now.

    But I lend my books out all the time and need to stop because they don't always come back, and I really want to re-read the Hitch Hikers Guide, but it is on loan to a friend for a couple years now, and I lost a book on DaVinci's art that I lent out to a friend who had loaned me the DaVinci Code. (oh yeah, that'a a hint, If you ever do pick up the Davinci Code, get a book of paintings of his for reference, it helps with a few of the descriptions)

    It's always interesting to find out what other people's habits are, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails