Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Review: Deadly


Deadly by Julie Chibbaro
A mysterious outbreak of typhoid fever is sweeping turn-of-the-century New York. Every week more people fall ill, and despite thorough investigation, there's no cause in sight. It's not until the city's most unlikely scientist -- sixteen-year-old Prudence Galewski -- takes a job as an assistant in a laboratory that the evidence begins to fall into place. It seems one person has worked in every home the fever has ravaged: Mary Mallon, an Irish immigrant dubbed "Typhoid Mary" by the press. Includes a historical note by the author. [Source]

I received this book for review through 1 ARC Tours. I chose to join this tour because I wanted something new to read (as if my TBR list isn't long enough) and because the author lives locally near where I live. I love to support local authors and artists.

I am not much of a science fiction fan, so I was a bit nervous about reading this book. I am also not a SCIENCE fan, so the thought of reading about viruses and laboratories made me a bit queasy.

Luckily, because this book is written during the 1900's and through the eyes of a teenage girl, so the scientific terms were kept to a minimum. There were many hand-drawn illustrations included, such as a model of a microscope, that added the whole feel of the novel. As Prudence progressed in her job, the illustrations became more and more complex.

Prudence was a very likable character. I truly felt bad for her when her friends didn't understand her, and when her mother tried to prevent her from getting her dream job. I was so happy for her when her mother finally stood up for her!

The beginning of the book was a little slow; however, that's because Prudence's life was slow at the time. I like that she didn't despair or get too whiny. I was also very pleased with her self-control later on when she discovered her feelings for a certain man. Despite her one little mishap, she was humble and modest.

Rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails